Back pain between the shoulder blades is not a separate disease — it is only a symptom of a fairly wide range of diseases: these are diseases of the spine, and muscle-tendon system, and the nerve roots, "in charge" of this site.
The area between the shoulder blades can also give pain in various diseases of the internal organs.
Fast and accurate diagnosis of this syndrome causes pain between the shoulder blades will allow you to avoid complications or chronic processes.
List the main diseases that can occur in this symptom:
- traumatic injuries of the formed structures, the thoracic and cervical spine;
- losing a breast or cervix;
- curvature of the spine laterally;
- intercostal hernia;
- a hernia between the thoracic vertebrae;
- humeroscapularis periarthrosis;
- intercostal neuralgia;
- shingles and some other infectious diseases;
- heart disease: coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction;
- pathology of the mediastinum (the organs between the lungs);
- diseases of the esophagus, stomach, duodenum;
- diseases of the liver and hepatobiliary system;
- lung disease and their shell – lung diseases;
- kidney disease;
- often the performance of certain types of activity on the background of systemic diseases.
The chest and between the shoulder blades
Usually it occurs:
- curvature of the spine in the anterior-posterior direction, with a convex back;
- disc herniation thoracic.
In this case, the pain present for a long time, has a different expression, usually absent in the morning, increasing in the evening.
In addition, pain may be symptoms of:
- coronary artery disease: in this case, is characterized by the occurrence of pain to the height of the exercise; it usually happens when taking nitroglycerin tablets;
- cholecystitis: pain associated with a fatty meal;
- hepatitis: characterized by increased bleeding (eg. when brushing your teeth), discoloration of the skin;
- pneumonia and pleurisy: there is coughing, increased body temperature, symptoms of poisoning.
When you inhale
Causes pain between shoulder blades when breathing can be:
- Intercostal neuralgia. It is a shooting, surrounded by nature. Improved deep breathing, sudden body movements. The temperature rise is typical, if the neuralgia caused by herpes zoster virus. At the same time, the skin in the medical area you can see small bubbles in the transparent liquid.
- Lung disease. In this case, the pain between the shoulder blades is also present during inspiration, increases with deep inspiration, and is accompanied by fever, most commonly cough (because the cough does not mean pneumonia), weakness, fatigue, and sometimes nausea and loss of appetite.
The pain can intensify at night.
Usually, this pain indicates an increase in the load on the spine in the context of the offset center of gravity.
The latter symptoms, together with pain between the shoulder blades can talk to pneumonia or pyelonephritis.
After a workout
So the obvious pain overload or the muscles in this area, or breast (rarely cervical) spine.
In the morning
Aching, dull pain that occurs in the morning and can Wake up a person says the aggravation of degenerative disc disease.
The rise in temperature and symptoms of intoxication are said to have diseases of the internal organs.
When you cough
Usually the pain when you cough feature of intercostal neuralgia.
But it is also typical:
- the surrounding characters;
- the pain, when the groping between the ribs.
Pain neuralgia it adds a certain body posture, walking, physical activities.
As occurs in peptic ulcer mostly stomach and sometimes the duodenum 12.
But the pain of this disease is marked by heartburn, belching, nausea.
Communication of pain between the shoulder blades with swallowing requires a mandatory consultation of the doctor.
It can be as serious diseases such as:
- inflammation or ulcers of the esophagus;
- inflammation of the organs located between the lungs;
- disease of the retina (back then, apart from pain when swallowing, pain increases under such loads, when increased intra-abdominal pressure).
Radiating to hand
This is a symptom of degenerative disc disease of the cervical or vermehrung Department.
Fever, vomiting, weakness should not be.
Radiating to the neck
This diagnosis is quite difficult.
This symptom may occur in diseases of the spine and life-threatening disease:
- Humeroscapularis periarthrosis. In this case, back pain in the hand associated with certain movements. Not accompanied by fever or a change in the General condition of the person.
- Biliary colic. Arise because of the overlap of the outflow of bile-stone. The pain is sharp, stabbing. Suffering is also common mode.
- Disease aortic aneurysm. It is characterized by pain, which is localized mainly in the chest, lay under the shoulder blade and neck.
- Myocardial infarction. Can very rarely occur in the not retrosternal and interscapular pain, radiating to the neck. Often, this life-threatening disease, the pain is localized behind the sternum, and the scapula and left arm and neck.
Radiating to the abdomen
This is usually the ulcerative disease of the stomach or duodenum. Accompanied by nausea, belching, heartburn, feeling of swelling.
After the birth
Such pain is usually to talk about the emergence or aggravation of diseases of the spine:
- disc bulge;
But these problems should not cause loss of consciousness, fever, deterioration of health.
Almost always this is a sign of developing scoliosis due to posture.
Thus, it can be seen that the lower corners of the blades and the shoulders are at different levels.
If the pain is connected to food, belching or heartburn, it can be gastritis or peptic ulcer disease.
In this last case, a visit to a pediatric gastroenterologist delay is not worth it.
The possible nature of the pain
We give different examples of diseases of the nature of pain.
You need to consider that the direct and unconditional guarantee of accurate diagnosis only on this criterion is because the pain threshold and the feeling of one and the same disease is different for different people.
Pain like this usually appears in response to the violation, inflammation or irritation of one or more spinal nerve roots: this is it, what was previously called "sciatica".
Due to this muscle spasm of the back is attached to the former more.
Biliary colic is also seen sharp pains, but they arise not only between the shoulder blades, but in the right hypochondrium.
But the pain also affected my overall health, nausea and vomiting.
This word is most often characterized by pain in these circumstances:
- Protrusion of the intervertebral disc;
- Intercostal neuralgia, during which people were even afraid to breathe;
- Inflammation of the pancreas. He is accompanied by other symptoms: bloating, diarrhea, impaired General condition;
- Myocardial infarction. In this case, feeling too much suffering. Often loss of consciousness, cardiac arrhythmia, drop in blood pressure.
In this case, the differencebut 2 States – ischemic heart disease (with its subspecies, angina pectoris), and low back pain.
- is a burning, squeezing;
- does not take long (only when heart attack);
- a few minutes after the nitroglycerin;
- does not depend on the motion;
- subsides alone.
If the infringement of the same nerve root pain:
- pass after taking pain medications or having a certain position;
- does not respond to nitroglycerin.
Observed such diseases:
- the attack of cholecystitis: displays in response to the consumption of fatty, spicy, fried food, also hurts right under ribs
- ulcer of the stomach was transferred to the pancreas: the pain is not just between the shoulder blades, but in the stomach
- aggravation of degenerative disc disease of the breast: the kind of pain that arises in response to some movement or heavy lifting.
Such pain is almost always talking about diseases of the spine and the bones:
- hernia. the intervertebral disc;
- scapula-costal syndrome;
In some cases, it can occur peptic ulcer disease and coronary heart disease.
It's a pain, characterized by bone and muscle structures:
- myofascial syndrome;
- osteochondrosis of the breast or cervix;
- the shoulder-rib syndrome.
Almost 90% of the cause of the pain described in the attribute "boring" is a pathology of muscles, tendons and ligaments.
If the cause of pain in the spine, it can be described as follows:
- the pain does not let other parts of the body;
- more physical activity, which is associated with sore muscles.
This is a symptom of the following conditions:
- Pleurisy. Then, in addition to pain, people are coughing, weakness.
- At the beginning of an ulcer perforation. In this case, before it was abdominal pain, heartburn, nausea, bloating.
- Vegetative-vascular dystonia.
- Biliary colic.
What signs may be associated pain?
Other symptoms in more detail to help you understand how the disease is caused by pain in the interscapular region.
Burn and bake the back between the shoulder blades
The causes of this condition:
- Osteochondrosis of the breast or cervix;
- The attack of biliary colic;
- Reflux esophagitis;
- Renal colic.
The causes of these symptoms:
- thoracic osteochondrosis;
- scapulohumeral periarthritis;
- peptic ulcer disease;
- biliary dyskinesia.
This combination of symptoms may be characterized by one of two diseases:
- the infringement of the nerve roots of the spinal nerves, which are sensitive to the fiber;
- exacerbation of chronic pyelonephritis.
If the pain between the shoulder blades accompanied by fever, it is a typical diseases of internal organs:
- tuberculosis of the lungs, or bone
Cough and pain between the shoulder blades accompanied by diseases of bronchi-pulmonary system:
- pneumonia, pleurisy;
- the lung tumor.
Hard to breathe
This is a clear sign of lung damage.
This combination symptoms of pleurisy, pneumonia.
Lump in the throat
Showing that the suffering of the esophagus - this can be inflammatory diseases, tumors, or varicose veins liver cirrhosis the veins of the esophagus.
Pain between the shoulder blades combined with nausea appear:
- peptic ulcer disease;
- myocardial infarction;
- subphrenic abscess;
- liver disease;
- kidney disease.
These two symptoms – pain between the shoulder blades and belching, almost always we talk about the loss of the upper digestive tract.
So, it may be: gastro-oesophageal reflux, gall stones and peptic ulcer disease.
Shortness of breath
It is a symptom, which in itself shows that the medical help you need as life-threatening.
This combination of signs are seen:
What to do?
Pain syndrome such localization is not advisable to take several hours.
If it is accompanied by shortness of breath, fever, weakness, cough and hemoptysis, you need to call the doctor, not to speculate about the origin of, such as pain.
If such symptoms are not there, you can try to remove the pain itself.
- Hands put on the shoulders, do them in a circular motion with the elbows, several times back and forth.
- Hands raise, raise hands to himself, closing his palm over the head. Head down, gaze fixed on the hand.
- Do torso twists to the left and to the right (twisting).
Other methods of self-treatment
Are applying to the area that feels the most pain as ointments, prepared independently of herbs, and the official medicine:
- Take 50 ml of dry mustard, camphor, alcohol and vodka, mix with 3 beaten egg whites. All part of the mix, infuse for 10 hours in a dark place, you can then apply a compress.
- Mix 100 g of honey, 50 ml of aloe juice, 150 ml of vodka. Insist 12 hours, apply a compress.
Depending on what reason had caused the pain.
So, if the pain was caused most common cause is osteoarthritis, prevention is the following:
- Regular visits to massage and physiotherapy.
- The right lifting weights.
- Avoid hypothermia, drafts.
- Proper nutrition.
Therefore the pain between the shoulder blades can be a symptom of a huge number of diseases.
The main culprit – the spine, its supporting muscles and ligaments.
But also such pain can not say that seriously affect some of the internal organs, which require detailed examination and treatment, often in hospital.